Monday, March 10, 2014

Blog #2 Story Beginning's

I know that this is quite late, and I am sorry. Better late than never.

______________________________________________________



The beginning of a story is one of the most important aspects to a piece, if not the most important part. One would want to grab a reader’s attention as quickly and effectively as they can, so that the reader continues on and is engrossed in the entirety of a piece. Having now read Jhumpa Lahiri’s story, A Temporary Matter, I would say that she did an exemplary job at grabbing my attention, though this was not immediate. It wasn’t until I reached the part where the baby was born dead that I had to see what happened next.
I have a hard time defining anything as what I would prefer to read when it comes to the opening, because as long as something is gripping, and interesting enough, I would most likely read on. As an example of a story that I have read, in which I was quite pleased with the opening, would be Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s novel Good Omen’s. I used this book before in the previous blog, but I feel that the excerpt that I talked about before, which was the beginning, is quite strong and sets up the pace and general tone of the book as a whole, as well as introducing the plot and main characters. It is also quite funny, so there is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment